Professor Vocal Studies - Screening of the Job Market
The Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp of the Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerpen organizes a screening of the job market because there is a possibility of employment, for a teaching assignment professor Vocal Studies.
2. Qualified persons
Staff members of the Royal Conservatoire - Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerpen as well as external persons.
3. Job description
The main task is to form creative musicians through individual and group orientated classes, conducting rehearsals, coaching pedagogical projects, research etc.
- an artistic personality, active as a professional singer on established international stages in solo, lieder, opera and/or oratorium repertoire
- lives and works in Belgium or is willing to work and live in Belgium
- has close relations to the Belgian music network
- combines artistic and pedagogical talent and experience
- is willing to cooperate with colleagues in the framework of a pedagogical project - is loyal to the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp and AP University College Antwerp
- shows great enthusiasm which he/she is able to transmit to the students
- gives the students enough room for personal development and knows how to motivate them
- is flexible and committed
- has experience with or is interested in interdisciplinary project work
- is prepared to deepen the personal artistic practice through academic research and to stimulate artistic research among the students
- can submit good artistic and pedagogical references and team player references
- has a work permit for Belgium.
Phase 1 – send in your file:
A first selection is made on the basis of the file submitted. This file needs to contain the following:
- letter of motivation and curriculum vitae
- references (with coordinates/contact info)
- a personal writing on your vision on the artistic-pedagogic project.
Phase 2 – first selection based on file:
A first selection by the Artistic board of the Music department takes place based on the file: the artistic board can decide to involve experts to make this selection.
Phase 3 – screening test on January 7 th and 8th 2020.
Selected candidates are invited to participate in a series of screening tests. These will be evaluated by a screening commission with internal and external experts:
- a public lesson with 2 students of different level and in different repertoire (30’)
- a recital (30’): presentation of works or movements of works at choice:
covering at least three different style periods and
covering at least two of these disciplines: Lied, Opera or Oratorium
In principle, the candidates provide their own personal piano or harpsichord accompanist.
- an interview on the motivation, the chosen compositions, the repertoire, the view on the methodology of study and on the contents and the structure of the curriculum, the evaluation of the students, concerts, etc; a case study.
The following elements will be considered for the ranking of the candidates by the commission:
- the file submitted,
- the public lesson,
- the pedagogical achievements,
- the interview,
- the recital,
- the artistic personality.
The screening commission writes a motivated report on the result of the screening and this contains the ranking of the candidates.
Phase 4 – possible employment:
On the basis of the results of this screening, the artistic board will investigate the possibilities for a possible employment and will conduct the necessary dialogues in that regard. If this results in an employment it will be with a fee as guest lecturer. The volume of this contract (amount of employment) will be calculated based on the number of students so also the pay will be calculated depending on the effective number of students.
6. Practical information
Interested persons are requested to submit a file.
This should contain:
- a written and motivated application with curriculum vitae;
- written references (with coordinates/contact info);
- an exposé on the personal view on the artistic-pedagogical project.
The file should be sent by mail to email@example.com before November 24th 2019 at 23:59 o’clock.
Additional information is available with Inge Simoens, Head of Classical Music. firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. +32 473 86 22 02.
More info on the Music department can be found on https://ap-arts.be/en/education/music.
The screening regulations (Dutch) can be consulted here.
- Job type/category: Academic
- Minimal education: BA
Deadline for application
Files to download
- download screeningjobmarketvocaldepartmenteng1.pdf